The Brain: My Perception and My Experience

It is wild that during my UBC education (BHK, 2000) the brain was the most fascinating thing to me, and it turns out that my brain ended up with a massive insult to it years later (2008). What is wild about it? What I am learning these days about cell phones and cordless phones, (and Wi-Fi, for that matter) is that all these are little microwave devices; the phone can heat our brains up from the inside-out! The craziest thing for me, is that I ignored my body's warning and chose ignorance. My assumptions of the cell phones were that they must be safe, therefore, I never questioned anything.

The brain is so complex and there is little that we actually know, even today. Research continues to find new theories that has the old theories constantly becoming obsolete. There needs to be a massive change in how the government looks at this extremely harmful technology and its ongoing, increased use. It is a growing concern that is ignored by society because of the ease it creates in our lives. Up-to-date information and how one can ensure that they are doing their part to use these technologies in a safer manner is imperative. What is most troublesome to me is that there were many past studies done on cell phones that would prevent them even being put on the market!

I worked in a neuroscience lab in my final year at UBC in the summer of 1999, doing basic science, stem cell research with grasshoppers. My job was to analyze the grasshoppers in the embryonic development with Dr. Timothy O'Connor. Outside the realm of the Human Kinetic world, but I was a keener when it came to learning more about the nervous system. According to Timothy's website; "Using sophisticated imaging technologies they will provide some of the first observations of cytoskeletal dynamics of growing neurons in their embryonic environment." I had the thrill of looking at the embryos after trying to not create yeast, as a result. Turns out basic science isn't for everyone.

The skulls of children are obviously not developed and it is a huge error to expose your child to mobile and cordless phones. Take a look at this ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdlaQTS76VU

What I love about the brain is how we can make connections to new pathways and create new motor programs. This was the basis of my degree as a Kinesiologist (Human Kinetics - Exercise Science). The science of movement is about programming the body to create these new motor programs that will facilitate the reduction of plateaus or even pain (true rehab). This was a passion mine since 1995 as a personal trainer. Today, I educate and treat clients to move forward in life - painfree.

I was far from painfree in 2009. A year of rehab and a determination to have my body and mind back brings me to tears, often. It is all worth it! I continue to forgive others and myself for all that happened to my poor brain. I keep reminding myself that life is a journey and I can handle everything that the Universe gives me. This is an ongoing feeling with no destination, at least that is how I feel today. I love my experience and hate the limitations of my body. I have new and old programs still connecting and reconnecting constantly. I figure that if Jill Bolt Taylor, PhD, the author of My Stroke of Insight, can recover fully then so can I! It took her 8 years to do so, but what is time anyway.

Comments

PETER said…
HEH CORAL-LEI:
THIS IS FASCINATING STUFF..
I WANT TO KNOW MORE AND WILL BE
FOLLOWING..I NEED SOME HEALING AS WELL..SO PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK..
YOU ALWAYS WERE AN INSPIRATION..
GOD BLESS..
LUV TO ALL..
PETER